QIAN JIA TING: All about our Family

"The most important work we will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

TAG CATCH UP!!

I love this concept of tagging each other. We put a thought or specific question out there and invite our friends to respond. I’ve been tagged about at least 3 topics (well, one wasn’t an official tag but rather a good question posed by Tara) and it’s time to catch up! So, here you have it.

Tag Number 1: What’s For Dinner?
I think it was Bethany A. and maybe Wendy F. who asked about dinner. I was asked to simply list what my family ate for dinner the previous week. Here you go:

Monday: tilapia with white rice and green beans
Tuesday: pork/pepper/potato stir-fry dish with white rice
Wednesday: lotus root, carrot, celery soup thing with, you guessed it, white rice :)
Thursday: Papa Murphy’s pizza
Friday: salmon, asparagus, white rice
Saturday: kids had mac n’ cheese. We had noodles.
Sunday: sweet and sour chicken, tofu/tomato/spinach with white rice

Lately I’ve been pretty good about cooking and adding a fruit, even if it’s canned peaches, with dinner as well. Some nights, though, if William’s working late, I’ll offer up dino-nuggets, cheese sticks, and waffles. We take it one day at a time around here and “success” takes on a different meaning, depending on the day!

Tag Number 2: What’s Your Idea of Fun?
This was a hard one. I’ve struggled with some depression-related issues this year and so sometimes what would have otherwise been fun, hasn’t necessarily been so. I can only say that my happiest moments are those with William and the kids---eating dinner, playing, relaxing, going for a drive, and really talking with the kids or listening to them talk to each other.

I also have tons of fun with my sisters and niece, especially reminiscing about things only family members can understand. We always end up getting pretty crazy (usually in a good way) when we get together. All our goofiness comes out and that is really therapeutic!

I really like having fun girl time with good friends. I love to curl up on the couch and just chat with them, look at silly magazines, talk about the superficial and the deep, and, of course, have a diet coke :)

Sometimes my most fun moments are very simple ones. I’ll give you an example. For the past couple days, the kids and I have pretended to be a marching band. We put on some loud music, get out all the instruments, and march around the house. We take turns being the leader and the leader gets to decide what “moves” we do, whether we play our instruments loudly or softly, etc. We laugh our heads off---even the baby gets into it. I’ve also found it to be good cardio for me!
William and I have fun when we rent a movie, make some popcorn, and snuggle up on the couch. Kids are in bed, house is relatively in order, and we just kick back and chill.

Saturdays with no plans are also fun. I enjoy having a leisurely breakfast, taking everything slowly, maybe reading something while I’m still in my pajamas. I love spontaneous talks with William and letting the kids sort of lead us into their play world. Taking the day as it comes is relaxing and knowing the day is wide open is actually fun for me. I think it’s because normally I’m a pretty scheduled person (as you’ve seen in my previous post about daily routines) and so I appreciate free time to the fullest.

I could go on, but hopefully this gives you an idea of what’s fun for me!

Tag Number 3: What Renews You?

This was posted by Tara and I love the question.

Funny you should ask, but one thing is BYU’s annual Women’s Conference! I’ve only been to it twice but both times were pure renewal on so many levels.

Church meetings, and particularly Relief Society, used to really renew me. With small kids---make that very active small kids---it’s hard. But I look forward to a time when I can soak it all in again. In the meantime, I catch what I can.

Bubble baths and fun magazines. I can’t read anything deep in the tub. Superficial reading is required here.

Well, maybe this is obvious, but…how can I word this delicately…intimacy with my hubby. That can be quite renewing. Shutting up now.

Alone time. I’m the kind of person who doesn’t mind going to a movie alone. I also enjoy walking around a bookstore, or even going for a drive. With my three sweet kiddos, sometimes what I crave more than anything is just to be in this house alone---free to putter, free to enjoy the quiet. I love that.

Well, I’m caught up on my tags, I think. But, I liked this question posed by Tara so…if you like the question and wouldn’t mind sharing---consider yourselves TAGGED!!!

3 Comments:

  • At April 9, 2008 at 6:58 PM , Blogger Sister Tara Bowen said...

    Thanks for doing your tag catch-up:). It was nice for me to think about the things that renew me because my quality of life has been so pathetic for the last couple months (thank you, horrible sickness a la pregnancy--and please don't comment about it on my blog--I'm, keeping it publically "secret" for another couple weeks).

    Life has been tough. Way too much lying on a couch or my bed, trying to sleep it off, throwing up (I had to take a break from reading blogs to throw up a few minutes ago, for example) and just trying to gut it out until I feel better. It felt nice to say," You know what?--these things really do give me such happiness. I don't only lie on a couch and throw up! I do much more!:)"

    Remembering what I love reminds me that I am more than just a victim of my physical circumstances.

    And I want to go to Women's Conference again too! Your talk was SO powerful!

     
  • At April 9, 2008 at 11:53 PM , Blogger Bethany @ The Paper Pony said...

    Honestly Lori, I think you hit the nail on the head for renewal... alone time! Girl time is a very close second (what would I do without book club and movie nights?). Third would be quiet time with my hubby. And fourth would be making something crafty with Abby.

     
  • At April 13, 2008 at 1:46 PM , Blogger Headle said...

    This TAG was so fun to read!! I miss hearing all of your little insights and ideas about life. THANK GOODNESS I can check your blog and read the latest from the greatest!! You always give me food for thought for days after I read your posts.

    You are such an incredible example and deep person, and yet still so fun and spontaneous too!! We are all BLESSED to be your friends!! :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home