QIAN JIA TING: All about our Family

"The most important work we will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."

Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Latest News

A conversation heard on Easter:

Abraham to me: Do you have a Mother?
Annabelle: She already died without us Abraham.
Abraham: Oh, my brother died.
Me: No, he didn’t Abraham. He’s right there.
Abraham: Oh.
Annabelle: I’m going to die! But when I get old. And Baba will die when he gets old. And you will Mama and Abraham and Baby Alex but when we all get old. Then we will live together in heaven.
Me: Do you really believe that Annabelle?
Annabelle: Yep. I do!

The faith of a child is inspiring, right? Here is another conversation between those same two angelic kids heard about an hour later.

Annabelle: Get out of here Abraham!
Abraham: No you get out. I told you girls cannot touch the whale!
Annabelle: You don’t say that (pushes him). You can only touch Nemo!
Abraham: You are ruining me! (screaming and red-faced) She’s ruining me!

Well, those are just a few of the fun conversations we get to hear around here. In other news:

William’s sweet Mother was rejected for her tourist visa again. She has applied to the U.S. embassy twice now, simply for the chance to visit the U.S. She would like to meet her newest grandchild. She would like to see the wonderful life her son has made for himself in this country. She would like to hang out with us, cook with us, play with the kids, and have a fun visit. Doesn’t sound unreasonable right? And yet, she has been deemed unworthy even to come for a visit. Again.

I am sad about it and the kids are disappointed, but we’ll be okay. William, on the other hand, is quite devastated. Considering he is the most optimistic person I know, it is especially hard to see his pain. He is trying not to show it, but the pain is deep. This is his Mom, after all, and Moms are important to us all. But to be so far away from one’s Mom for so long, so have accomplished so much and not be able to share it with her---for a son like William, it is simply heart-breaking.

No system is perfect, of course, but whether we will have the faith and energy (not to mention the money) to ever try again is very hard to say. On the other hand, how can we not try again, and again, and again until one day she finally gets a “yes”. In the meantime, I hope she can “bounce back” as best one can and that we will somehow find a way to feel peace about it, or at least in spite of it.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. We shall see what the future holds. We recognize the great gifts in our lives and we are keenly aware of our blessings. Despite them, though, there are (as I suppose there are for all of us) some challenges that seem beyond our control. We hope we can learn and grow and come out better on the other end of this trial.

That is the latest here. Hope you're all doing well!

12 Comments:

  • At March 29, 2008 at 7:30 PM , Blogger Shaunna said...

    I'm sorry Lori, everything will work out, maybe not right this second. Just keep trying again and again. The Lord is aware of your wants and needs. We love you and are thinking of you...

     
  • At March 30, 2008 at 7:19 PM , Blogger Sister Tara Bowen said...

    Lori, I'm so sorry for William! I didn't realize until I had my little boy how devastating it can be to live far away from family. I'll pray for her to get here on the next try!

    And I love the conversations you have with your kids and that you get to witness. Too bad Abraham's ruined, but I suspect he'll get over it pretty soon:). Love ya!

     
  • At March 30, 2008 at 7:51 PM , Blogger Jill said...

    Wow, how incredibly frustrating! I'm so sorry. I can't imagine not being able to see my mom either. You and your family are so amazing. Your faith and optimism are inspiring!

    I can't wait until my kids can have conversations together. That is simply adorable.

     
  • At March 30, 2008 at 10:15 PM , Blogger Janelle said...

    That's too bad. I guess you can only hope for next time. Good luck.
    PS, I loved the converstaion about Nemo & the whales. Kids say the funniest things!

     
  • At March 31, 2008 at 8:50 AM , Blogger Headle said...

    I'm sorry Lori and William!!! I remember that happening a few years ago too!! How heartbreaking! You both really do have such faith!

    Those conversations between Abraham and Annabelle make me smile! What sweeties they are!

    You are such a wonderful Mom Lori!! Both you and William really have your priorities straight. All three of them are such lucky little ones to have the INCREDIBLE parents that they do!! :D

     
  • At March 31, 2008 at 10:35 AM , Blogger Andelin said...

    Those two are so cute! It must be great entertainment just to sit back and listen to their banter at times! I hope their Grandma can come and watch them in real life too soon!

     
  • At April 1, 2008 at 12:34 PM , Blogger Tish Solomon said...

    That is sad. I'm really sorry. I understand the pain of being far from family for long, to some small extent anyway.

     
  • At April 1, 2008 at 6:40 PM , Blogger Desmama said...

    I'm so sorry to hear about William's mother. I'm sure it's more painful than I could know. Are you able to visit there very often? Please know you are in my prayers. I love the stories of conversations with little ones. They are so sweet in their innocence . . . and so funny!

     
  • At April 1, 2008 at 10:45 PM , Blogger Athack77 said...

    I wish there was something we could do to get grandma here. I don't know what the process is to get a Visa but I do know that the Lord always answers our prayers sometimes after the trial of our faith. Perhaps the temple prayer roll can give some additional comfort.

    BTW- All good sisters ruin their brothers at some point during childhood. Just ask my three brothers!

     
  • At April 2, 2008 at 7:02 AM , Blogger Qian Jia Ting said...

    Thank you for all your wonderful words of encouragement. Friendship is a great blessing and blogging, in particular, is just plain fun. I love catching glimpses of all of your lives and sharing glimpses of mine with you.We hope to try again for Nai Nai's visa soon. I'll keep you posted.

     
  • At April 5, 2008 at 3:12 PM , Blogger Danielle Dallas said...

    At the risk of starting a political feud, why is it that people like William's mom go through the right channels to make a non-permanent visit to the land of opportunity while meanwhile truckloads of other people feel the need to smuggle themselves over the border? I'm not a big fan of that but certainly a fan of Nai Nai getting to visit the Qian family!

     
  • At April 5, 2008 at 5:14 PM , Blogger Qian Jia Ting said...

    Yes, I know Danielle. It is very, very frustrating. Often it seems that the people playing by the rules...sort of lose. We have to believe she will eventually get a "yes" and this frustration will fade, but in the meantime, it's hard not to notice the obvious contradictions. We shall see. Love your blog, btw.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home