QIAN JIA TING: All about our Family

"The most important work we will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."

Monday, June 2, 2008

China, Germany, Alabama, California

You just never know where people are going to end up, or where we'll re-connect with friends. Alice and I met in a yoga class in China. Later that year, she married her German boyfriend, Jens. I remember seeing them at the lake one night and telling her I was pregnant. To my surprise, she said "me too!" We enjoyed hanging out with them and said our good-byes when William and I left China in 2003.

We kept in touch a bit and visited them in 2006 when we went back to China. At that time we met their daughter Karen who is very close in age to Abraham. We again said our good-byes.

Well, they are now living in Alabama and were going back to China for a visit recently. They stopped off here for a couple days, so we got to see them again. This time, we got to meet their baby boy, Peter. It was so fun. Our two families are very comfortable together and it was really fun to watch the kids play, partiularly Abraham and Karen :)

We wish them a wonderful trip to China and I imagine the next time we'll see them will be when we are living there and they come over for a visit. But, who knows!
A beautiful, smart family: Jens, Alice, Peter, Karen Jens and Karen going "cherry picking" in our backyard. William reading to the girls. We took them to the Pleasanton farmer's market. Alice, Jens, Peter, Alexander William loved chatting with Jens. Karen playfully winks at me while Abraham intensely takes "his woman" by the hand :) Mei Mei's not sure what to think, but she's holding tightly to those crackers!
Alice and I spent most of our time cooking and chatting. Yes, I am aware that baby Alex is eyeing that knife... Mother and son playing in the front yard. Taking a picnic break at the market.

6 Comments:

  • At June 2, 2008 at 8:51 PM , Blogger Sara G said...

    How fun! Friends really do make life more wonderful. Especially the ones that you can just pick up right where you left off, even if it has been years! I love reading your posts.

     
  • At June 3, 2008 at 7:33 AM , Blogger Janelle said...

    How fun!
    I totally miss the Pleasanton Farmer's market - enjoy that for me while you can!
    I cannot believe how big your kids are getting. But then again, Tori is growing up fast, too.
    Good luck getting ready to move.

     
  • At June 3, 2008 at 7:37 AM , Blogger Headle said...

    Fantastic post Lori! How neat that you have been in touch over the years, and how closely your kids line up in age! :) I love the picture of Abraham and the little girl holding hands...soooo cute!!!

     
  • At June 4, 2008 at 8:11 AM , Blogger Dunstan Family said...

    Lori How are you? Its Dollie you taught me how to cook some food and my husband is forever grateful to you. Your family is beautiful here is our family we have a blog too.

     
  • At June 4, 2008 at 2:09 PM , Blogger Athack77 said...

    Thank heavens for the internet. That way no matter where you live, you can always stay in touch, since the internet knows no distance.

     
  • At July 1, 2008 at 3:10 PM , Blogger KT said...

    Hi Lori, I am very happy for you and your family. I am also sad, because all the years you have been back, we have not taken the time to visit you and your family. Your Family is Adorable and you can tell all very happy. I wish only the best for all of you. Love Karen (Your Cousin)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home